Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:38:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IPF2 Code use in PICOBSD

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:

The IPFW2 code has been introduced by its vendor, Luigi (?) and its now
part of the cvsupdated sources - but not activated for standard and stable
compilation. You must activate this piece of code by changing into your
source tree and compile libalias and ipfw with the make option -DIPFW2
to get the new code compiled and you __must__ activate the ipfw2-kernel code
by adding the option options	IPFW2 into your kernel config file.:

cd /usr/src/lib/libalias
make clean && make -DIPFW2 all && make -DIPFW2 install

cd /usr/src/sbin/ipfw
make clean && make -DIPFW2 all && make -DIPFW2 install

and add kernel option as decribed above and build a new kernel.

The new IPFW2 code is for test purposes only - but it works on all machines
'in production' at our department without problems - it works slightly faster
than the old code, but all traffic runs through a filtering PICOBSD bridge
and therefore the benefits of the code are the visible, when we switch to the
new code on PICOBSD ...

:>Sorry I can not answer your question, But your question about IPFW2 sure
:>caught my interest.
:>What is IPFW2? Is this a new version of IPFW or a version just for PICOBSD?
:>Can you point me to info about IPFW2?
:>