Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2003 10:21:36 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "DoubleF" <doublef@tele-kom.ru>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Limiting kernel core usage

> Hello,
>
> How do I stop my kernel from using a piece of core? I mean,
> if I have 32MB of memory, how do i make it to use only the
> low 16,for instance (not removing the chips themselves,though)?

I think setting MAXMEM in your kernel config file as follows will do what
you want.

options    MAXMEM="(16*1024)"

From the LINT kernel:

# MAXMEM specifies the amount of RAM on the machine; if this is not
# specified, FreeBSD will first read the amount of memory from the CMOS
# RAM, so the amount of memory will initially be limited to 64MB or 16MB
# depending on the BIOS.  If the BIOS reports 64MB, a memory probe will
# then attempt to detect the installed amount of RAM.  If this probe
# fails to detect >64MB RAM you will have to use the MAXMEM option.
# The amount is in kilobytes, so for a machine with 128MB of RAM, it would
# be 131072 (128 * 1024).

--
Matt Emmerton