Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:09:32 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au>
To:        Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Round two of the front page structure changes...

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 08:02:44AM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:10:30PM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> > Yes, too many can be overwhelming.  I'm thinking of ways to get
> > around this.  If we do site cleanup, then perhaps we can break
> > things up a bit.  Like this:
> >
> > Front page
> > Support ---- America -- links, documentation, ...
> >              Other -- links to <language> sites, translated docs, ...
>
> Should that be ``English'', ``American'' not (yet) being a language? Or
> am I missing a clue as to what you're meaning? :-)

perhaps, an english path broken up with a country catagory, like
america, australia, canada, england, new zealand and anywhere else that
english is the primary language.

i've gone to a lot of places on teh www to look for stuff and then got
bounced to some american site because i chose my language as english.

to explain why that is a problem for use who do not live on teh
american subcontinent .. all teh stuff that gets to australia goes
across teh pacific ocean floor bed via a cable that has its entry point
at mae-west (could be mae-east, i keep getting those two confused) at
any rate if that router (as robust as it is along with its huge amount
of bandwidth) gets saturated my download becomes slow and unreliable
pkts drop and if i'm lucky it only takes 4 or 5 cups of tea to get my
250 kbyte text file.

these days it is not as bad as it used to be, i grew up with the
internet in australia having a 155 kbit link to mae-west back then the
link being saturated and down was at least a weekly occurence and so
on.

sorry if this sounds a bit extreme, but for those of us who live on teh
periphery of the world it is a way of life and not just some
inconvience that can be routed around if needs be.

thier is also the issue of netiquette, but, well i've rambled on
enough.

regards and thanks

jonathan