Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 11:27:58 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bpk@kern.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MULTIPORT flow control problems

>	I'm using a 16 port BOCA multiport serial board on my FreeBSD
>(950726) machine.  There seems to be a bad flow control problem (drops about
>50% of the characters) with any modem I put on the BOCA board.  I put the
>modem on com port 1, and it worked fine.  I've played with stty and it
>didn't seem to help at all.

Flow control problems are not likely to cause that many dropped
characters.  Perhaps interrupts don't work right.  Then the board might
by accident up to about 1000 bps with 16450s and 15000 bps with 16550s.
Polled mode (which you get by not putting an irq in the config) is
designed to work up to these speeds.

># 16 port BOCA board
>device          sio2    at isa? port 0x100 tty flags 0x1001 vector siointr
>device          sio3    at isa? port 0x108 tty flags 0x1001 vector siointr

Boca boards require 0x0004 in the flags.  Bit 0x0004 off means that the
board is AST/4 compatible.  See the sio man page.  I didn't know exactly
what happens for Boca boards when bit 0x0004 is off.  Now I do :-).
Interrupts are disabled.  The AST/4 uses the normal IRQ enable bit to
control the compatibility mode, and the sio turns it the bit off for
AST/4's to get native AST/4 mode.

In -current, by default polling "by accident" is done 100 times less
often, so the problem would be more obvious.

Bruce