Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Reid <sreid@alpha.sea-to-sky.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail, dialup connection, multiple users.

This is related to the FAQ item: "8.19. How do I set up mail with a
dialup connection to the 'net?"

The FAQ details how to change the domain name on outgoing mail to match
that of the ISP. But what do you do when there are multiple users on the
system, who's email addresses have different domain names, and who's
local user names don't match their user names in their email addresses?

My hostname is "grok", the domain name I'm using is simply "nodomain".
These are a couple of my users:

Local user           Email address
steve@grok.nodomain  sreid@sea-to-sky.net
vern@grok.nodomain   figaro6@hotmail.com

Each user can set the From: line in the mail headers just fine using
most MUAs, but when the local sendmail tries to deliver the message it
seems to be telling the remote MTA that our hostname is "grok.nodomain",
and many sites (including freebsd.org) refuse to accept mail from us
because "grok.nodomain" is bogus.

Is it sufficient to set sendmail's idea of the domain to some other
random domain name that does exist (like "hotmail.com"), and depend on
the From: line in the mail to get return mail going where it's supposed
to? If I were to do that, would error messages relating to
"steve@grok.nodomain" end up going to "steve@hotmail.com" instead of
"sreid@sea-to-sky.net"?? Is there anything else I can do???

Also, the FAQ refers to M4-processable configuration files in
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf. It says that if you have the CDROM you
can get those files by installing the /cdrom/dists/src/ssmailcf.aa
distfile. Where do you get those files if you don't have a recent CD?  I
checked ftp.freebsd.org in the 3.2-RELEASE/src directory but could not
find any ssmailcf.aa distfile.