Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 21:16:16 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Louis-Philippe Groulx" <dark_matrix41@yahoo.ca>, "Steve Brown" <freebsd@prayforwind.com>
Subject:   Re:

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 20:01:34 -0500, Steve Brown wrote:

>> easy to learn between: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, QNX
>> or Linux.
>
>I was determined to find an alternative to Windows98 and as such I tried all
>of these. I settled on FreeBSD because:
>
>- it runs on my machine and I was able to configure -all- my hardware
>- I found the doc's at freebsd.org far & away better than anyone else's
>- To me it's got the best balance between ease-of-use<=>power
>
>OpenBSD won't boot my machine properly. NetBSD is more sparse than FreeBSD
>but it runs on just about anything. Of the linux's I like Debian & Slackware
>(couldn't get any of the others to install) but they're complex compared to
>the *BSD's. Linux has better support for more weird hardware than the *BSD's.
>QNX froze my machine repeatedly, just like Windows; something I've never seen
>FreeBSD or Linux do.

I used slackware about 5 years ago, and I thought i'd rather have a
root canal then install it again.. I dont know if it's changed since
though.  i went to freebsd, and everything installed easy/quick

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 7FEC 10AA 056B F8DE  AC1E 6965 FBBE 9601