Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 21:01:35 +0100
From:      Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PHP 5.4.0 : lang/php54

On 21/05/2012 20:03, Etienne Robillard wrote:
> On 05/21/2012 02:51 PM, George Kontostanos wrote:
>> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Chris Rees<utisoft@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> When would have been a better time?
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> As a rule of thumb, the best time to mark a port as being the default
>> is when there is a demand for it.
>>
>> As a side note, given the fact that FreeBSD is and should be the
>> number 1 choice for webservers we have to make sure that before we
>> proceed to such a major change we have:
>>
>> 1) A documented upgrade path
>> 2) A documented roll back path
>>
>> Currently, if we want to stay up to date, we have to either nuke php5
>> and reinstall php53 or nuke php5 and reinstall php54.
>> This requires down time work and effort. I would never complain if
>> there was a security issue that had to make me recompile the full php
>> suite. But now, I have to explain to many customers why I need down
>> time in order for them to continue using the php53 version.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> Or in pkgtools.conf, add something to disallow upgrading
> inconditionally php ports if they're sensitive to your business workflow.
>
> hope this helps,

> http://gthcfoundation.org/

this does seem to be an unfortunate upgrade path as the options for my
clients were:
     default upgrade -> move to a non suhosin, some major cms broken
(albeit better) version 5.4
     'stay' on 5.3, paradoxically requiring a deletion of existing
php5/php5-extensions ports tree and a reinstall from php53 which had no
history of previous extensions.

deletion of sqllite at same time didn't help

--
-------------------------
Paul Macdonald
IFDNRG Ltd
Web and video hosting
-------------------------
t: 0131 5548070
m: 07970339546<<PLEASE NOTE NEW MOBILE<<
e: paul@ifdnrg.com
w: http://www.ifdnrg.com
IFDNRG
40 Maritime Street