Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 23:07:13 -0400
From:      david <sarr0006@algonquincollege.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4-stable won't boot

Hello,

I just did a cvsup to RELENG_4 about noon EST today (Wed), built world,
installed a new kernel, and rebooted.  now, when I boot, I get the
following:

boot -v:
IPsec: Initiated Security Association Processing

no devsw (majdev=0 bootdev=0xa0400000)
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s3a
no such device 'ad'
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

Manual root filesystem specification
mountroot>

This system has been running 4-STABLE for over a month now, with no
problems,
the kernel config file wasn't changed at all from before the cvsup.  I
can boot -s with
the old kernel, but of course I can't load any modules.

/dev/ad0s3a has been the same ever since I upgraded from 3-STABLE, fstab
hasn't
change a bit.

Any suggestions?  The machine is kinda unusable right now.

If there's anything else I should add, let me know.
Thanks in advance,
David Sarrazin