Date:      Wed, 01 May 2002 16:56:38 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Vadim Konovalov" <vkonovalov@peterstar.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, perl5-porters@perl.org
Subject:   Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?

> > I'm not sure that is acceptable. I believe that perl 5.8.0 will be
> > +- 45 MB. I cannot afford to import all of that - I'd get lynched.
>
> that is price, for example, for Unicode.
> Okay, when many platforms will be doing stripping their tools, everyone
> should remember where his perl programs are able to run and where they are
> not and require additional dowloading. (I remember how I was disappointed
> that Redhat linux distribution did not contained Tk in its distribution,
> even for optional installation. It was a pain to rebuild)
>
> For me, nowadays 45MB is nothing compared to medium HDD capacity, and even
> my POCKET PC will easily accomodate it...

45 MB is fine as a port - we have ports that are way bigger than that.

As part of the base OS? Nope. The only functionality that we _need_
is the basic language - effectively miniperl.

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn
#text/plain; name=cv.doc [Mark Murray CV Plain Text] cv.doc
#application/octet-stream; name=cv.pdf [Mark Murray CV PDF] cv.pdf