Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:07:58 +0100
From:      "Idar Tollefsen" <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Using GCC 3 for ports?

Hello,

I just picked up an old answer for my question, one that
I've been pondering lately. Altough a little OT, I tought
I still try to make some sence of this:

> Don't use gcc 3.0.x.  It will dump core on the following code:
>
>        switch(foo) {
>        default:
>                blah();
>                break;
>        }
>
>You don't want to know how many places code like this exists in
>our source tree much less in 3rd party software.  :)  Just make
>sure you have gcc 3.1.x which has this bug fixed.  It doesn't look
>like gcc 3.1 is in ports (probably cause there's no released version
>of it yet).  However, if you really want to, you can install the
>gcc30 port, and build by doing 'make CC=3Dgcc30'.

Why is this kind of constructs used instead of a simple "if" statement?
I remember at one point, there were rumors that a switch clause was
faster than an "if" statement, but I tought that argument was gone with
modern compilers who were able to optimize both just as well...?

- IT