Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 20:50:20 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE Sound problems

I've noticed a couple of problems with sound on KDE on FreeBSD and I was
wondering if anyone else was having these problems so that I could file a
bug report with more evidence.

I have a sound recording program I wrote several years ago to record from
the soundcard to a raw binary file. This works fine with my old
Soundblaster16 on 4.4-Stable. On my laptop, with an ESS-Maestro3,
I seem to be missing samples. The recorded file is higher in pitch than
the original recording, contains "clicks" and records longer than the
requested time; IE, if you ask for a 10 second duration, you get 14 or 15
seconds duration. Since the program counts duration by calculating how
many samples it needs to get from the sound card at the requested scan
rate, it sounds like it is not able to read the samples at the requested
rate, therefore it takes longer and compresses the recording, time-wise,
making the pitch higher.  I tried this same thing with 'gramofile' from
ports and it does the same .

I also have an issue with the Multimedia player, Noatun...
Noatun seems to run OK playing mp3 files, but does not always show the
running time. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't! Sometimes a
particular instance of Noatun starts out working properly and then, after
playing a few mp3s, the clock goes to 00:00:00 and does not count.

-Jim Durham