Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2006 21:43:39 -0700
From:      "Damian Sobieralski" <dsobiera@asu.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   VideoBSD and other APIs

Hi all,

  If this is a repost, my apologies in advance.  It's just that I didn't
see my message post in the last two digests of the list that I received.
This is my third post on this. I hope this one gets through.

  I have a series of questions that probably have been discussed at
length here. So if you'd rather point to the old material, please feel
free. Otherwise, any input would be useful and extremely appreciated.

 I am looking to do some trivial coding for a Hauppauge WinTV card. It
is supported by the bktr driver.

 So the question comes up, what API can I use to access this?  I'm new
to this sort of thing (accessing a tv card), hence the hobby interest in
playing around. =20

 After much web searching the v4l2
(http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Main_Page) project looks
promising. However, I'd prefer to do this on FreeBSD over Linux.  I do
have a Kubuntu box but I'd like to use FreeBSD (duh!).

 Then I came across many instances of people recommending going to:

http://people.freebsd.org/~jmg/videobsd.html

 And this looks like a promising start.  But as the page is dated 2003,
I wonder if this project is moving forward?

 Then I found out about the bktr API. Although this would limit my test
app to just my card (and is held my many as an older almost obsolete API
due to the meteor legacy) it looks like that's really the only avenue
for me on FreeBSD.  So then I searched for an API reference/tutorial for
bktr.  But I find that instead of a reference that many people are
stating to go over the fxtv source code
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/multimedia/fxtv/pkg-descr) as
my "tutorial".  Well, I can try to do that but I was hoping for a bit
more "professional" assistance in education for me. One thing I love
about FreeBSD it that although it is done in people's spare time - it
always has a feeling of being a professional operating system.

 So now the request for assistance. On FreeBSD, where is my best bet to
learn about interfacing with a Hauppauge WinTV card via C or C++?

 Thank you very much for any assistance that you can render.

- Damian