Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:52:23 -0400
From:      "Jud" <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        "Jonathan McKeown" <jonathan@hst.org.za>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installer (was Re: Newbie Experience #2)

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:26:33 +0200, "Jonathan McKeown"
<jonathan@hst.org.za> said:
> On Monday 11 September 2006 15:56, Jud wrote:
> > everyone who uses FreeBSD knows that a "better" (meaning,
> > at least to many folks, more simplified and graphical)
> > installer would be nice
>
> Perhaps as an option. The problem is that you need to install a graphical
> environment to run a graphical installer. Simplicity means different
> things
> to different people, too.
[snip]
> Now the only time my servers get a screen/keyboard connected is to
> configure
> the BIOS when they are first unpacked. Otherwise the basic install is
> done
> from the serial boot CD with my laptop as a serial terminal, up to the
> point
> where I can ssh to the box and start customising, adding packages etc.
> From
> my point of view it doesn't get simpler than that.

Yes, I meant "at least to many folks" literally - there are many people
for whom a graphical installer would be overcomplication.  I personally
like the "The BSD Installer" <URL: http://www.bsdinstaller.org/>; it
just happens to suit the way I install a system in that it makes
available most of what I tweak and I don't use most of what it hides.  I
wish the Summer of Code project to adapt it for FreeBSD installation
appears to be.

Jud
--
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." - Douglas Adams