Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2012 20:39:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: usb identity issue

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Al Plant wrote:

> I am having problem getting usb plug in /flash drive to come up on
> FreeBSD * several boxes with different versions of FreeBSB os I have 3
> boxes for testing here at my shop.
>
> Can anyone point me to any articles on this issue.
>
> Is there a command like usbconfig (saw this mentioned in an email
> question but it doesnt work) to bring this up on screen?

I don't know of any articles, but here is what I do:

$ uname -r
8.0-STABLE
$ ls /dev | grep ^da
$

(note that there is nothing found) ...and then plug in the thumb drive
and do it again:

$ ls /dev | grep ^da
da0
da0s1
$

...and now I can mount it. Since this drive is a FAT32 filesystem, I use
mount_msdosfs. Having an entry in /etc/fstab is a convenience but not
strictly necessary.

> Dmesg of the booted units shows da1 mostly but this identity cant be
> accessed on any of them.

After pluggin in my thumb drive, my dmesg shows

da0: <SanDisk Cruzer 1.02> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 7629MB (15625216 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 972C)

Note that while dmesg only shows da0, my `ls /dev` also shows da0s1. You
may need to use /dev/da1s1 or similar (depending on what you see from
`ls /dev`) in your mount command. Try a few permutations.

HTH, and maika'i pomaika'i.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]