Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 2015 11:06:01 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: hostapd loses connectivity on ath0

Hi,

The stable/10 code doesn't have all the fixes I did over the last two
years. Just disable 11n (ifconfig wlan0 -ht) and use that. :-)

Sorry!

-adrian

On 3 November 2015 at 07:19, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 26 Oct 2015, at 22:10, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> hiya,
>>
>> you should try -head.
>>
>> But there's some long standing issues hiding around in the AR9227 code
>> somewhere where they occasionally go deaf and I never figured out
>> why... :(
>
> Frankly, I'm not too eager attempting to run -head on my home gateway/fir=
ewall/wifi AP/file server, especially not if there is little chance that th=
is issue is fixed there. I don't have a whole lot of spare time to mess wit=
h it and outside of that I need a working server.

> In the mean time, I noticed these messages in my daily security run outpu=
t after several restarts of hostapd over the last couple of weeks:
> +ath0: ath_tx_default_comp: bf 0xfffffe0001359fc8: seqno 2659: bf_next no=
t NULL!
> +ath0: ath_tx_default_comp: bf 0xfffffe00013407c8: seqno 2660: bf_next no=
t NULL!
> +ath0: ath_tx_default_comp: bf 0xfffffe000135c2d8: seqno 2661: bf_next no=
t NULL!
> +wlan0: ieee80211_new_state_locked: pending RUN -> SCAN transition lost
>
> (I'm guessing a lockup of the card is imminent again)
>
> Is that any help in getting closer to the cause? Is there any info I migh=
t be able to provide when it locks up again? If this isn't a hardware bug, =
I would like to see this fixed if possible in the current constraints.

> Or should I just swap my ath card for a different model (or brand)? If so=
, which are safe?

> Regards,
>

>> On 26 October 2015 at 13:27, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> At random times my devices suddenly fail to connect to Wifi on my ath0 =
device. Issueing /etc/rc.d/hostapd restart usually resolves the issue, but =
at some point that also hung.

>>> Shutting down to single user mode in the hung state only partially succ=
eeded, in the sense that ifconfig, hostapd and a few other network-related =
processes kept "running" - I assume the hangup of hostapd was caused by a h=
ung process somewhere in that tree.

>>> The system is:
>>>
>>> uname -a
>>> FreeBSD solfertje 10.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.2-PRERELEASE #19 r286718: =
Thu Aug 13 10:00:32 CEST 2015     dalroi@solfertje:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ANT=
ELOPE  amd64

>>> It's quite possible that I've misconfigured something, so here's the re=
levant lines of my configs=E2=80=A6

>>> rc.conf:
>>>
>>> # Outside interface
>>> ifconfig_fxp0=3D"DHCP"
>>> ifconfig_fxp0_ipv6=3D"inet6 accept_rtadv"
>>>
>>> # Wireless
>>> wlans_ath0=3D"wlan0"
>>>
>>> create_args_wlan0=3D"wlanmode hostap"
>>>
>>> ifconfig_wlan0=3D"mode ng channel 9:ht/40"
>>> ifconfig_wlan0_ipv6=3D"inet6 accept_rtadv"
>>>
>>> # Bridged interfaces (see example at man 4 bridge)
>>> cloned_interfaces=3D"bridge0"
>>> ifconfig_bridge0=3D"addm em0 stp em0 addm wlan0 stp wlan0 up"
>>> ifconfig_bridge0_alias0=3D"inet 10.236.150.1/24"
>>> ifconfig_bridge0_ipv6_alias0=3D"inet6 fe80::6efd:b9ff:fe68:db36%bridge0=
"

>>> # Internal wired ethernet (should that be above the bridge declaration?=
)
>>> ifconfig_em0=3D"up"
>>> ifconfig_em0_ipv6=3D"inet6 accept_rtadv"
>>>
>>> hostapd_enable=3D"YES"
>>>
>>> #=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>>>
>>> hostapd.conf:
>>>
>>> interface=3Dwlan0
>>> driver=3Dbsd
>>> debug=3D1
>>> ctrl_interface=3D/var/run/hostapd
>>> ctrl_interface_group=3Dwheel
>>> ssid=3Dfoo
>>> country_code=3DNL
>>> ieee80211d=3D1
>>> hw_mode=3Dg
>>> wpa=3D2
>>> wpa_passphrase=3Dnonononono
>>> wpa_key_mgmt=3DWPA-PSK
>>> wpa_pairwise=3DCCMP
>>>

>>> The ath0 device is:
>>> pciconf -lv ath0
>>> ath0@pci0:5:6:0:        class=3D0x028000 card=3D0x0300168c chip=3D0x002=
d168c rev=3D0x01 hdr=3D0x00
>>>    vendor     =3D 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
>>>    device     =3D 'AR9227 Wireless Network Adapter'
>>>    class      =3D network
>>>
>>> In case it's relevant: All connected devices get their IPv4 addresses t=
hrough DHCP from this machine, the machine itself gets it's IPv4 external a=
ddress from my upstream provider, the internal addresses are hardwired per =
interface. DHCP is configured to use hostnames (instead of IP's) that get l=
ooked up in Bind9 on the same machine.

>>> Google did find some people on the internet with apparently the same pr=
oblem, but nobody seems to have found (or posted) a resolution.