Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:03:05 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Johan Granlund <johan@granlund.nu>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, Lars ?kerling <lars@akerlings.t.se>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_sppp is BROKEN!!!

Johan Granlund wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> > Johan Granlund wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this a implementation of SYSV Streams?
> > >
> > > /Johan

> > No it's something that lives in the same ecological niche, but is
> > different.
> >
> > it's not based on a 'stack' but instead allows an arbitrary network of
> > processing elements to be created.
> >
> > I released it about 12 months ago but it needs some cleaning..
> > :-)
> >
> > julian
>
> This is really interesting!
> One of the concepts i liked in SYSV (ducking for cover) was streams and
> its ability to chain together modules to process a datastream.
> If it's coupled with kld to dynamically load/unload modules i think
> you have something _very_ good.
>
> That network thing. Can a module route a package thru different modules
> based on contents and state?

you set up a 'web' of nodes to your own specification..
each node decides which connected node a packet will be routed out to..
you could (if you id it wrong, get an infinite loop
with a packet looping around and around, but it's assumed that people
setting this up wouldn't do that :-)

we've had this code in heavy production for 2 years now.

julian