Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2013 11:09:37 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT: rsync on Mac OSX

On 12 July 2013, at 10:49, Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com> =
wrote:
>=20
>>> Since you are going to wait anyway, why don't you try peeking at =
some of
>>> the file checksums while this is running?
>>>=20
>>> MacOS X comes with a shasum utility which implements SHA-256 =
checksums,
>>> so you should be able to look at a few random samples of these =
files,
>>> e.g. by running on the source disk:
>>>=20
>>>    shasum -a 256 source_directory/file/path/to/some/file.ext
>>>=20
>>>    shasum -a 256 copied_directory/file/path/to/some/file.ext
>>>=20
>>> If these are the same, then the applications look elsewhere, e.g. in =
the
>>> 'hidden' .DS_Store stuff some MacOS directories contain.
>>>=20
>>> But if the checksums are different, well, then there's your problem.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>=20
> Checksums are the same.  All other files still work however the HUGE
> rendered Final Cut Pro output, so I guess it is something in =
.DS_Store.
> Last time I just gave up and recopied everything by a simple cut and =
paste
> and that solved the problem.  I made a small change on the project =
today,
> and I don't want to have to copy the WHOLE thing again just for a =
small
> delta.  I already synced the directories, but the new rendered files =
are
> still un-openable in any application even though the checksums match.
> Really weird.  However, the project will still open and work on FCP.  =
Just
> the 12Gb rendered movie files will not play on anything even FCP.  If =
> delete .DS_Store will the system regenerate it with the appropriate =
file
> associations?
>=20
> I know this is a little off topic, but Mac OSX is based on BSD.  You =
guys
> are also the smartest around :D

Rsync on the Mac only opens and copies the data forks.  It does not copy =
the resource forks.  There are still a few applications that use =
resource forks.  Likewise the checksum apps work on the data forks only.

There is a utility that is a modified rsync that does handle resource =
forks.  I no longer remember what its name is.  Its been a number of =
years since I last used it.  I normally rsync from FreeBSD systems to =
Mac systems.  I use Minis as off-site backups.