Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:25:45 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Allow jail to see source IP of incoming traffic

--nvuknvo8rhcjRnxUPn2iRSw2n7vthfTPB

On 2014-08-14 06:31, Beeblebrox wrote:
> I have placed mldonkey's mlnet inside a jail. The problem now is that t=
he
> allowed_ips control feature of mlnet has effectively become disabled si=
nce
> all traffic to mlnet appears to flow from jail's IP.
>=20
> mlnet's allowed_ips feature permits control of "who has permission to a=
ccess
> mlnet through gui/web-server, etc."
>=20
> What setting could I relax for the jail so that mlnet is able to see th=
> source IP of incoming requests? I would assume that jailed web servers =
are
> able to see client IP's in order to do geo-filtering?
>=20
> Regards.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> -----
> FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS
> --

>=20

Jails do see the real source IP address. Connections to localhost
(127.0.0.1) from inside the jail are rerouted to the jails primary IP,
since the jail does not have access to the loopback adapter. This can
cause local connections to appear to be coming from the jails IP rather
than loopback, but other than that, everyone should show the original
source IP address.

What address are you seeing the connections as coming from? Where are
they actually coming from?

--=20
Allan Jude