Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2018 08:40:49 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
Cc:        Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>, FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting ZFS pools back.

So your kernel couldn't find the pool.  That might be due to a GEOM module
that wasn't loaded but should've been (were you using gmirror or geli or
something?).  Or you might've accidentally destroyed the pool.  It would
still show up in "zdb -l", albeit in the destroyed state.  Or you might've
accidentally destroyed the partition.  If the pool had resided on the
disk's last partition, then "zdb -l /dev/ada0" still would've seen the
label, since there's a copy of the label at the end of the device.  But if
you've reused the disk, then there's no way to know for sure.
-Alan