Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 11:32:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu (Jeremy Sigmon)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Programming questions.

Jeremy Sigmon stands accused of saying:

> A friend of mine is looking into programming some network applications
> using FreeBSD.  His is just learning so he plans to make a FTP
> program and TELNET program.  He want to learn the guts and such.
> Anyone know of any good sites with source code he can look through
> and or tutorials?  He (and I) have read the TCP/IP books from O'Reilly
> but he is looking for specific examples.
>    I was really smart and told him to look in the telnet source in
> usr.bin, but he was looking for more.
> Any suggestions?

The standard response is, of course :

W. Richard Stevens, 'Unix Network Programming'.
from Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-949876-1.

WRS' homepage is http://www.noao.edu/~rstevens/.

And then if he wants to understand the kernel side of things, there
are volumes by the same author (2 or is it 3 now?) which should be
listed in the reading list in the FAQ or handbook somewhere.  If he's
really serious, he should check the -hackers list archive for Terry's
Reading List, which covers the very deepest and darkest corners of the
Unix thoughtspace.