Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 20:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Mike Muir <mmuir@es.co.nz>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install newer version over old one...

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> has anyone looked into/thought of some sort of 'make upgrade-all' command
> that would ignore that a dependency is already installed and reinstall it?
> basically, skip the check for it to be installed?

You mean ALWAYS_BUILD_DEPENDS? :-)

That's still not perfect for upgrading stuff, since even though it will
build all the dependencies, it doesn't remove the old packages first and
so you still potentially run into the same problems I mentioned earlier.

What We Need <TM> is a system which decouples the name of a port and the
version number, so you can 'make upgrade' and it will remove the old
version before reinstalling the new one (which has a different port name).
Optionally, it will also rebuild all the child dependencies as well.

Kris

----
XOR for AES -- join the campaign!