Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 09:07:13 +1200 (NZST)
From:      <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.7 and COMPAT_43

On Tue, 13 May 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:

> jonc@pinnacle.co.nz wrote:
> >
> > Hmm,
> >
> > Just tried recompiling a kernel for 2.1.7, and removed the COMPAT_43
> > option from the list. Upon rebooting, login behaves slightly strangely:
>
> Why did you remove COMPAT_43? It's one of the things that's not meant to
> be removed from the kernel config file (as the comment states). Most
> noteably it breaks xterm.

The kernel config files do *NOT* say that its a required option (in either
GENERIC or LINT); they need updating if that's the case.

And as to why, just fooling around with how small a kernel I can get
that still boots and works..
--
Jonathan Chen                          e-mail : jonc@pinnacle.co.nz
  Pinnacle Software Ltd                Voice  : +64.9.415.4460