Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2012 16:37:49 -0400
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fallout from the CVS discussion

Hi everyone,

After the 90+ email thread this is my take on the CVS discussion:

Here is a summary of people that support CVS's removal now:

Eitan Adler
Peter Jeremy
Bryan Drewery
Tim Kientzle
Poul-Henning Kamp
Joel Dahl
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav
Paul Schenkeveld
Baptiste Daroussin
Doug Barton
Lars Engels
Markiyan Kushnir

Here is a summary of people that support CVS's eventual removal, but
want to wait for some time:

Warner Losh
Erich Dollansky
Bjoern A. Zeeb
Garance A Drosehn

Here is a summary of people that prefer not to remove CVS at all (or
at least, specifically not for 10.0):

Olli Hauer
Julian H. Stacey

Here are people that commented, whose opinion I did not see stated:

Lev Serebryakov
Glen Barber
Ian Lepore
Adrian Chadd
Giovanni Trematerra
Alfred Perlstein
Jeffrey Bouquet
Marius Strobl

I believe the overwhelming majority of people commenting support the
removal of CVS from base at some point before 10.0. As such I think it
is correct to do so.

I see following reasons to keep CVS brought up in the :

- we still have some CVS infrastructure
- lots of users still use the CVS infrastructure
- Some users rely on CVS on machines which can't install ports
- We don't have a complete subversion infrastructure ready
- CVS has been traditionally installed on unix systems

However, -CURRENT is not meant to be a production system. Users
running -current are expected to follow the mailing lists, debug
systems, and deal with tool changes. In particular these are the exact
users capable of dealing with the above issues. In addition waiting to
remove CVS delays the amount of time users will have to learn the "new
world order," to find hidden dependencies on CVS, etc. There is a port
(and package) available for CVS. CVS is not something not ordinarily
needed by embedded systems, so concerns about the inability to use
ports are minimal.

My plan is to wait for some of the existing objections to be solved
and then go ahead with the removal.

In particular I will not remove CVS until

(a) Documentation has been updated to the new svn for src, ports, www and d=
oc
(b) We create a 'changes between 9 and 10 list' and put this removal on it.
In particular this document should well advertised (and possibly be a
subset of the release notes)
(c) We are sure the svn mirrors are sufficient enough for users both
in the United States and in other countries.

In particular I will *not* be waiting for:

(i) cvsup to die
(ii) a complete lack of CVS users.

The discussion has resulted in some very useful ideas and feedback
and I'd like to thank everyone who participated.
If you have additional objections please followup with me *privately*.
Other than this email, I will let the topic rest until such time as
the first three conditions are met.

--=20
Eitan Adler