Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:34:28 +0000
From:      Peter Pieczora <peter@peterpieczora.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 8.0 system freeze

Hi,

You're absolutely right, adding dumpdev="AUTO" solved generating dump files.

I may be totally wrong, but it seems that wlan0 causes system panic:
I remember when using ndis device (linksys pcmcia wifi card) similar situation
took place.

Thanks for your help.

local dumped core - see /var/crash/vmcore.3

Wed Dec  2 19:20:24 GMT 2009

FreeBSD local 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0: Sat Nov 21 15:48:17 UTC 2009
root@almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

panic: page fault

GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]...

Unread portion of the kernel message buffer:
wlan0: ieee80211_new_state_locked: pending SCAN -> AUTH transition lost

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address	= 0xc5e931d5
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x20:0xc0f78b0c
stack pointer	        = 0x28:0xe52deb7c
frame pointer	        = 0x28:0xe52dec34
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 0 (iwi0 taskq)
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0