Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:56:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mike" <root@unixhideout.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Spam problem solved.

>How does this block spam?  All I see is web interface for a mailing
>list.

That's all you see now. It's going to take time. But at least i am going
to do something about it. And i will do it well. It will be done. I am
going to add random characters to all of your email addresses. read below.

I quote from my page.

"I spent some time on the FreeBSD mailing lists, but was overwhelmed by
spam and stupid people. For whatever reason, they get killed with spam.
Reasons are unknown, but i have my own idea's. This is my goal. Add to
this incredibly, redo it in PHP and MySQL, and make it searchable via a
fast MySQL database backend. I am also going to use unixhideout to filter,
and remove spam from it. Not only that, but if you look at the left of the
page, you see a lot of "from" emails. This is not implemented *yet*
however, in time, i am going to have some scripts, add random characters
to people's "from" email addresses. What is the result? Spam robots will
index unixhideout like they do thousands of sites per minute, see
thousands upon thousands of email addresses and because my script will add
completely random characters, every one will bounce and waste their time
and resources just like they have no problem wasting ours. It's a great
way to fight back spam, it's going to be a great search engine for nothing
more then "FreeBSD questions". And yet another way for me to help out my
favorite operating system. -sagacious

>You've said it's easy to block spam; well, I use DNSBL, a great many
>entries in /etc/mail/access, and procmail, and it's still not easy.
>Please share some details.

I never said it would be easy. You can do anything if you put your mind to
it. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. You must be more
persistent then the spammer/enemy and never give up.

>Oh, and you're talking about reinventing WPoison:
>http://www.monkeys.com/wpoison
>-Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

I dont care what im reinventing. It will be unixhideout's code, and 100
times better. But i'll take a look and possibly use it for idea's assuming
its open source. and i can see it and use it. (i havent looked yet.)

In the end it will be a spam free MySQL searchable database of
"Freebsd-questions and it is going to be very cool. As me and the other
guys from my group overcome the many challenges to it i will post here for
you to see. until i get the first email that says dont post about this.
Which would be rude considering im doing it to help myself and the people
on the list. But i'll get a flame.

--
Those of you who act like you know everything are very annoying to those
of us who do. You can easily play a joke on a man who likes to argue, just

Need to get a hold of me?
 finger sagacious@unixhideout.com