Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:18:17 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Michael Hostbaek <mich@freebsdcluster.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newsyslog.conf - sudden error

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 11:23:39AM +0100, Michael Hostbaek wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have 3 FreeBSD boxes running ipfw at three different locations.. 2 of
> the boxes are 4.5-STABLE and the last is 4.4-STABLE.
>
> Last night, both the 4.5-STABLE boxes started to produce the following
> error..
>
> <snip>
> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:00:00 +0100 (CET)
> To: root
>
> newsyslog: malformed at:
> /var/log/ipfw                           600  10    *    $W0D2 Z
> </snip>
>

> The 4.4-STABLE has the exact same configuration, however with no errors.
>
> The two other boxes have been running, for several months, without any
> problems, and no changes have been made recently. And as far as I can
> see, the syntax in /etc/newsyslog.conf seems allright to me.
>
> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks..

That error message means it's having trouble reading the "$W0D2." But
I believe that is valid syntax. I can't see any recent changes to
newsyslog(8) that might be making problems.

Is there something special about that time? There wasn't some kind of
DST-Standard time switch in the local timezone, was there (kind of
early in the year for that)?