Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:00:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TCP sockets stuck in the CLOSING state

Before I spend a lot of time hunting this down, I figured it might be worth
asking -- is there any particular reason why TCP sockets may be getting
stuck in the CLOSING state more often now?

I upgraded a machine from -current as of about June 26th to -current as of
last Friday (October 29th), and I've got an ever increasing number of
sockets stuck in the CLOSING state:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address         Foreign Address       (state)
tcp        0      0 myhost.1929           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.1904           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.1899           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.4570           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.3659           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.3524           somewebserver.http    CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.3171           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.3080           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.2957           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.2006           othermailserver2.smtp CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.1808           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.1632           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.1603           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.1558           hub.FreeBSD.ORG.smtp  CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.1320           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.4374           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.4102           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.4067           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.3101           othermailserver2.smtp CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.3030           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING
tcp        0      0 myhost.1609           othermailserver1.auth CLOSING

This didn't seem to happen with the previous version of -current.  I looked
through the commitlogs for the TCP code, and I saw some timer changes, but
nothing that looked like it would obviously have this effect.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken
--