Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 2015 09:23:47 +0100
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Dangling Pointer <danglingpointer@outlook.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Unzip utility choice decision

On Wednesday, 23 December 2015, Dangling Pointer <
danglingpointer@outlook.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','danglingpointer@outlook.com');>> wrote:

> Those options are not contradictory with `pkg install unzip` version. That
> -uoq combination is an advance usage which save us from a race condition.

Can you please explain this race condition further, and how the -uoq flags
combined help prevent it when running simultaneous unzip commands?

> What I am really saying is:
>
> There is a universally known unzip utility which offers many options and
> then there is FreeBSD version of unzip with less options. That makes no
> sense to me. Why would you want to have a separate unzip utility?

This is for the same reason that there is a "universally recognized"
document editor called Microsoft Word. Why would you have a separate Open
Office application? The answer is of course for the more permissive license.

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02@gmail.com