Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:54:56 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        FreeBSD <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Top posting

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

On 2004-03-21T19:33:58-0600, Gary wrote:
> Hi JJB,
>
> --On Sunday, March 21, 2004 8:09 PM -0500 JJB <Barbish3@adelphia.net> wro=
te:

> >So is there some MS/Outlook config option to change it to bottom
> >post?
>
> Outlook fix <http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/>;
>
> OE fix <http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/>;

Gary,

Thanks so much for posting these links!  Whether or not those who post
email from sub-par MUAs like Outlook and OE will take heed and make use
of these very useful fixes remains to be seen.

What I find comical about this topic (and it never ceases to recur every
few months) is that the clueless who post, asking for clue, refuse to
accept pointers on something so simple as email etiquette from the same
people they assume will provide clue on so many other more complex
issues!

I am not an ass-kisser of any sort, but I can tell you that I have
learned a lot from reading Greg's site about email posting, and
listening to his (and other's) logic in the matter.

In the end, why not just write like you speak?  In a verbal
conversation, each party speaks in turn (in-line replies), provided they
have something worthwhile to say on the given subject (trimming what
isn't relevant), otherwise they keep their pie-hole shut (don't reply at
all).  Most of us read and write English from left to right, top to
bottom, so why is it so much to ask to follow the same guidelines that
are followed with verbal speech?

Using a poor MUA isn't an excuse, certainly not after this very useful
post by Gary!

For those on high, please forgive my entrance into this thread.

--=20
Mike
perl -e 'print unpack("u","88V]N=3D&%C=3D\"!I;F9O(&EN(&AE861E<G,*");'

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v--