Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:14:06 +0800
From:      Jiansong Liu <jiansong.liu@effective-world.com>
To:        Marc Fournier <freebsd@hub.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bce0: bce_pulse(): Warning: bootcode thinks driver is absent! (bc_state = 0x00004006)

Hi Marc,

My DELL PE2950 was 9.1-STABLE r246126M which is definitely earlier
than Feb 5th, I use it as VirtualBox host (4.2.6)

Yesterday it ran into simular problem like you described, but didn't
get any lucky, ping is dead.

Then I update it to r247836, it happened again today.

There's two warning message after boot:

bce1: promiscuous mode enabled
bce0: promiscuous mode enabled
bce0: bce_pulse(): Warning: bootcode thinks driver is absent!
(bc_state =3D 0x00004006)
bce1: bce_pulse(): Warning: bootcode thinks driver is absent!
(bc_state =3D 0x00004006)

I can't turn promiscuous mode off by type "ifconfig bce0 -promisc".

Any comment are appreciated, thanks.

Best regards,
Jiansong

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Marc Fournier <freebsd@hub.org> wrote:

> Hi =E2=80=A6
>
>    Running a kernel updated on the 24th, I just experienced a total hang =
of the ethernet =E2=80=A6 the funny thing is that when I went to the remote=
 console, the network suddenly came up on its own, after being down for abo=
ut 2 hours ...

> I had originally thought it had to do with VirtualBox, since up until now=
, the only boxes I'd see exhibiting this were running a VirtualBox VPS, but=
 this server doesn't have one running =E2=80=A6

> Has anyone seem this before?
>
> The odd thing is that the bce driver code hasn't been modified since Nov =
17th, 2012, according to the FBSDID tag in if_bce.c =E2=80=A6 so its not a =
change to the driver itself =E2=80=A6

> I was having some odd issues with another server that has VirtualBox, whe=
re similar would happen =E2=80=A6 I reverted back to code around Feb 5th, a=
nd it seemed to have gone away =E2=80=A6 am trying to see if I can narrow i=
t down to a specific date, but maybe the error message has more meaning for=
 someone else =E2=80=A6 ?