Date:       Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:15:39 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Snapshots in the Fast Filesystem

On 2000-Jul-05 20:42:18 -0700, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com> wrote:
>I have completed an initial implementation of snapshots for the
>fast filesystem (UFS/FFS).

Thank you very much.  Having used the snapshot mechanisms in Compaq's
AdvFS, I can say that this will be wonderful.

Having read the README that you committed, I have a few questions:

Disk space overheads: Does creating a snapshot require any additional
disk space?  I realize that updates will require additional space for
the `before' image, but what other metadata overheads are there?

Running out of space: Is there any special behaviour when an active FS
with one or more snaphsots runs out of disk space?  Does the (oldest?)
snapshot become invalid to free up space, or is the behaviour
indistinguishable from running out of space without snapshots?  How
does this interact with the UFS minfree boundary?

Speed: Is it possible to reduce the time during which FS activity is
suspended?  As you point out, one use for snapshots is doing point-in-
time backups (I do this currently with Compaq Tru64 AdvFS
filesystems).  From past experience, I've found that Oracle is very
sensitive to FS activity blocks - after about 1 sec, Oracle will abort
if it's FS activity is blocked.  It's possible that other applications
have similar behaviour.

Peter