Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 18:06:58 +0100
From:      Robert Klein <RoKlein@roklein.de>
To:        jacks@sage-american.com
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE on DSL Clients

Hmm, lets take a look at the client.

The file /etc/resolv.conf should have at least one line like:

nameserver      194.25.2.129
nameserver	134.93.8.13

The file /etc/rc.conf should have some lines looking like:

defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
hostname="client1.sage-american.com"

Now, on a client try "nslookup xyzzy.de".

If you get a answer (no error), your network setup should be ok.  Else, let's
try a "nslookup xyzzy.de 134.93.8.13".  This command tries to resolve the
name "xyzzy.de" using the nameserver of the University of Mainz, instead of
the system default.  The answer should be:

->Server:  kingluey.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE
->Address:  134.93.8.13

->Name:    xyzzy.de
->Address:  195.20.225.16

(without the "->" part).  If you get this, your nameserver entry in
/etc/resolv.conf is probably wrong.

Else, maybe there's a problem with the gateway.  Do you have a firewall
installed, perhaps?

Regards,
Robert Klein

On Saturday, 24. November 2001 14:37, you wrote:
>I running DNS on 192.168.0.1 (the gateway)....
>I tried pointing the clients to the ISP nameserver, but no change...

[rest deleted]