Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:52:58 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Artem Koutchine <virtmatrix@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EMERGENCY! Need help! Disk Data Lost !

Artem Koutchine wrote:

> EMERGENCY! Need help! Disk Data Lost! Help! Help! Help! SOS! SOS! SOS!
>
>                  Hello from Russia !
>   We are ISP and one of our server suffered a crush today. One of its
> disks lost it partition table (slices that is) and the labels (file
> system labels or is it correctly called partitions).
>          The main question:
>  Is there a utility, which could exctract data file-by-file from a disk
> w/o partition and labels? And if there is no, what can I do?
> Of course, some of the data can be exctracted using disk editor (Norton
> Utilities), but there is no way to exctract a whole directory
> tree.
>   Please, HELP !!!
>
>   Artem A. Koutchine
>   VirtMatrix@hotmail.com
>
>   Eugene V. Makhnyov
>   Axxiom@unforgettable.com

if you can read other sectors on the disk, then not all is lost..
(can you read other sectors?)
it is relatively easy to rebuild a partition table
especially if you have a 2nd (bigger or same size) disk
available to copy all the rest of the data onto..

how do you KNOW you lost the partition data?

more info is needed..