Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 01:20:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        jflowers@ezo.net (Jim Flowers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1998-09-16 Briefing on Encryption (fwd)

personally i would call the cable&wireless/mci noc, and tell them to
fix their f*****g nameservers, but be sure to check your root file
first, as your domain shows that you handle your own dns, also try
flushing your dns cache.

in the meantime, i guess mci customers can use:

http://207.96.70.148
[which is http://www.bxa.doc.gov]

and the relevant page covering the new encryption policy is [follow
the link marked encryption from the main bxa page]:

http://207.96.11.93/Encryption/Default.htm#WHDocs

the following is a brief fact sheet that i guess the white house
digested from the original press briefing.

-------------
THE WHITE HOUSE

                                   Office of the Press Secretary

           For Immediate Release

                                                                      September 16, 1998

                                            FACT SHEET

                             Administration Updates Encryption Policy

                 Exports of 56-bit DES and equivalent products (hardware and software)
                 will be streamlined (under license exception). Requirements for key
                 recovery plans are eliminated.

                 Exports of unlimited strength encryption products (with or without key
                 recovery) will be streamlined (under license exception) to certain
                 industries. The sectors are:

                 Subsidiaries of U. S. Firms, worldwide (except seven terrorist nations).
                 Insurance companies to the same 45 countries recently approved for
                 exports to banks and financial institution exports.

                 Health and medical organizations (including civilian government health
                 agencies) in the same 45 countries. Does not include
                 biochemical/pharmaceutical manufacturers.

                 On-line merchants for client-server applications, in the same 45
                 countries, with the purpose of securing electronic transactions between
                 merchants and their customers. Does not include manufacturers and
                 distributors of items controlled on the U.S. munitions list.
                 Key Recovery products will continue to be exportable under license
                 exception worldwide (except seven terrorist nations). Review of foreign
                 key recovery agents is eliminated.

                 Exports of "recoverable" products will be approved to most commercial
                 firms, and their wholly-owned subsidiaries, in a broad range of
                 countries under encryption licensing arrangements. This group of
                 countries covers most major commercial markets including Western Europe,
                 Japan, and Australia. The policy does not include service providers and
                 manufacturers and distributors of items controlled on the U.S. munitions
                 list.

                 Exports to end users or destinations outside this policy are possible on
                 a case-by-case basis.

                 Prior to export, products are subject to a one-time product technical
                 review.
-------------

i posted this topic to -hackers because it is the appropriate group to
post to.  this is a wider issue than just os-security IMHO.  most of
the applications i see falling under this still use embedded
encryption.  i honestly doubt that this will cover source code, but i
could be wrong.  please remember that this is not a universal
relaxation of policies, and that the internet spreads a bit farther
than the intended markets for this policy.  the second to last
paragraph in the fact sheet *could* cover freebsd [but would probably
be a pain in the ass, and could be like the old GTDA license, one per
end-user required].

the bxa encryption page mentions some upcoming bxa seminars on this
topic, and maybe jordan can send someone from the core group to get
better answers.  this is only a suggestion, not a request.

In reply: