Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:33:30 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@consys.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: issetugid(2)

}
}This has broken all sorts of things here.
}I thought that the syscall interface for 2.2.x was being kept
}unchanged.
}This call makes it impossible to run binaries (e.g. vi)
}compiled under 2.2.5+ on a 2.2.2 machine.
}Surely the library routine that calls this
}should cope with it not being in the kernel,
}in the same way that Peter did his new syscalls.
}
}was this considered teh 'correct thing to do?'
}was there discussion?
}
}I must have dismissed it and now it's bitten me :(
}
}I have many machiens on people's desks here running everything
}from 2.1.0 to 2.2.5, but teh chroot environments they use are all
}2.2.2. I was upgrading the chroot environment to 2.2.5(+) but
}it can only be used on the newest machines, and I don't want to have to
}upgrade all those machines..!
}
}Peter, how did you trap your new syscalls? (i can't even remember
}which they were)
}I'll see if I can work up a similar workaround if I can find a reference.
}
}
}julian
}(GRRR)

Satoshi sent a mail about October 30th, wondering why this hadn't
caused people problems.  I ran into it yesterday, cvsupping a
6 month old 2.2-STABLE to whatever it is today.  The buildworld
and installworld went without problems but when I tried to
login to user accounts or launch another xterm, oops! Bash wants
issetugid.

So part of the reason for this particular email is to put a note
in the mail archives:  make sure you rebuild bash when you update
to 2.2.5+!

Oh, and if I didn't have SSH configured for root, this would have
been a lot more pain as the system in question doesn't have an
easily accessed console...  (csh doesn't need issetugid...)

Russell