Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 01:11:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott Overholser <scotto@remuda.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   SOLVED-->Re: sendmail read errors/timeouts etc.

thanks all for the suggestions.  some of you spent more than a few token
cycles on this problem for me - thanks.

the short answer is that i was running with an mtu of 296 via my 28.8
connection.

the 296 was a relic from the 14.4 days.  anyway, i changed it to
1500 and the problems are gone - it was like flipping a switch.  the
problem began when i replaced my rusty linux box running slip with the
freebsd box running ppp.

the troublesome sites apparently blocked tcp frags improperly (i know very
little about implementing firewalls).  i verified that with the nintendo
folks.  i can only guess about microsoft and msn.  regardless, my problem
is gone.

thanks,
scotto