Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 2003 20:30:02 +0100
From:      Josef El-Rayes <j.el-rayes@daemon.li>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Restructure of the front page

Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Grettings,
>
> Thanks to Mark Linimon who provided a starting point for this, I've
> produced a patch for the front page.  This patch just makes a few
> simple 'structure' changes to hopefully allow users to find their
> information faster.

i had a look at your work, and it looks very nice, right step
in right direction. i was wondering why you did not
include amd64 in your "platform support" list.
i think this one wil be become very important in near future
(it became tier1 lately).

i was wondering why you removed the events link from
the frontpage, is there a certain reason?

i am also not sure where we shouldn't restructure
the "support" part. on the one hand side,
we list possibilities how to get in touch
with freebsd users (mailing lists, user groups, news groups),
then there is a link to 3rd party documentation (web ressources)
and then there is the link to security.

first the security link is absolete, as there is already
a link to this page at the and of the security advisories listing
on the right hand side of the page.

i would move the web resources link up to the documentation part of the navigation bar
but this is just a matter of taste i think.

what about the vendors section? do we really need these 4 direct links?
i would move make one link for vendors,
and put it under software (i.e. the ones who sell freebsd
cds/dvds). and then i would move the consultors under the
support section.

greets, josef

ps: hm, i am wondering whether i should express my
views in a page, as it is a bit confusing (for me too)
to put this in words instead seeing what i am thinking of.