Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 12:08:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crash with KVM monitoring in place ...

:>     'trace'.  If over several crashes it dies in the same place
:>     then we at least have an idea where to look.
:>
:>     How large is your swap space, or your largest free partition?
:
:My swap is only ~2gig, and my drive looks like:

    Right... then do as I suggested in a previous email.  Reduce
    the machine's memory to 2G via /boot/loader.conf:

    hw.physmem="2048m"

    Then reboot and turn on dumps to the swap device.  If you
    can reproduce the crash with the machine downgraded to 2G
    we should get a dump we can work with.

:Awhile back, someone posted this to the lists:
:
:http://www.cs.duke.edu/~anderson/freebsd/netdump/readme.html
:
:To do dumps to a 'dump server' ... i tried it on a 4.4 kernel, I believe
:it was, and altho it looked like it was dumping, I got zero bits on the
:remote server, so I'm figuring changes in the kernel itself ...
:
:Any chance on getting such working (and maybe into) the latest source
:trees?  It seems to be it would be most valuable, especially as more and
:more "large servers" are coming online?  I've got the two servers sitting
:next to each other, so network isn't an issue, and they are both running
:fxp interfaces ... the code itself is at:
:
:http://www.cs.duke.edu/~anderson/freebsd/netdump/
:
:with the netdump_client.c code being 17k, and the _server.c code being 7k,
:so they aren't that large .. the code appears to be from '00, so don't
:know what would have to be changed to reflect -STABLE's present state ...

    I really like the idea of doing dumps over the net.  The code looks
    workable though a good deal of work is probably required to make
    the network stuff work again.  I don't have time to do it myself,
    though, but this sounds like a good project for someone.

					    -Matt