Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:22:07 -0600
From:      Tillman <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: round robin routing - how?

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:53:18AM +0000, Rob O'Donnell wrote:
> Is it possible under FreeBSD to set up some sort of round-robin router - I
> have another hardware ADSL router available, and am not adverse to sticking
> a couple more network cards in the FreeBSD box if necessary - what I was
> envisaging was the FreeBSD machine is default gateway for all clients on
> the lan, and it then routes out to the 'net via either hardware router - so
> any clients that wants faster bandwidth can get it, as long as they use
> multiple connections and don't expect any one of them to go over the 512K
> of one ADSL line.

Wit ha bunch of caveats (you're using NAT, both lines terminate in the
FreeBSD server, you only care about outgoing traffic, the IP's you have
on both lines are in a nice contigious mini subnet, etc) you could
probably do somethign like this using IPF's ipnat:

map rl1 internal.ip.net.work/24 -> external.sub.net.block/30 portmap tcp/udp auto

(See http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/ipf-howto.html#TOC_31 for more
details).

- Tillman

--
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not
 want to die."