Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:12:14 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mobile PPP - PPP on a laptop with many connections....

William Woods wrote:

> I have a problem, I hope my fellow  laptop users can help me with. I have
> several dial ups, ie, I need to dial a "9" while at work, and sometimes I need
> to dial a long distance code as well as dial while I am at home, my
> regular number.
>
> I do have in my /etc/rc.conf file this command that starts ppp in the
> background;
>
> /usr/sbin/ppp -auto cybcon
>
> But, I find whenever I change locations that requires a different number to be
> dialed, like a 9 or a long distance code, I have to edit /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and
> then reboot. I know there must be a simpler way.......

You need to setup your ppp.conf so that you can use pppctl. You can
always kill ppp and there was never a need to reboot. Then, you need
to have an entry in your ppp.conf for both work and home. Each entry
can have their own telephone number. You would then type "ppp -auto
cybcon" for work and "ppp -auto home" for home. I also have a shell
aliases that close and dial the connection using pppctl. The close
closes the connection and stops ppp.

Kent

> I am open to ideas

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html