Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2017 15:56:11 +0500
From:      "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   some general zfs tuning (for iSCSI)

Hi,

I'm using several FreeBSD zfs installations as the iSCSI production
systems, they basically consist of an LSI HBA, and a JBOD with a bunch
of SSD disks (12-24, Intel, Toshiba or Sandisk (avoid Sandisks btw)).
And I observe a problem very often: gstat shows 20-30% of disk load, but
the system reacts very slowly: cloning a dataset takes 10 seconds,
similar operations aren't lightspeeding too. To my knowledge, until the
disks are 90-100% busy, this shouldn't happen. My systems are equipped
with 32-64 gigs of RAM, and the only tuning I use is limiting the ARC
size (in a very tender manner - at least to 16 gigs) and playing with
TRIM. The number of datasets is high enough - hundreds of clones, dozens
of snapshots, most of teh data ovjects are zvols. Pools aren't
overfilled, most are filled up to 60-70% (no questions about low space
pools, but even in this case the situation is clearer - %busy goes up in
the sky).

So, my question is - is there some obvious zfs tuning not mentioned in
the Handbook ? On the other side - handbook isn't much clear on how to
tune zfs, it's written mostly in the manner of "these are sysctl iods
you can play with". Of course I have seen several ZFS tuning guides.
Like Opensolaris one, but they are mostly file- and
application-specific. Is there some special approach to tune ZFS in the
environment with loads of disks ? I don't know.... like tuning the vdev
cache or something simllar. ?

Thanks.

Eugene.