Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 17:56:25 -0500
From:      Steve Price <steve@havk.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   gdb debugging tips

I've been having problems with a software package for which I
only have a binary with no debugging symbols.  In talking to
the folks that wrote the software I know what arguments the
routine takes I just need to be able to see them in the debugger.
Here's what I've done:

Fire up the program.  Attach to the pid of the running process
with 'gdb lsv 10336'.  I've set the breakpoint at the routine
that I'm interested in 'break LH2P' and I've coerced the program
to run to the breakpoint.

Here's where I'm lost.  I'm back in gdb and it is waiting for
me to tell it what to do.  I know the function LH2P takes one
argument a 'char *'.  How do I view a function's arguments?  With
debugging symbols this is as easy as 'where'.  I figured
'info args' would be the ticket but all it says is 'No symbol
table info avialable'.  Now I'm betting the information from
'info frame' is the key but how to decipher it.

Thanks.

-steve