Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:36:13 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Phantom mail in local queue

Greg Black wrote:

> You don't say when you get this mail, but I'm guessing it's from
> the daily cron jobs -- if so, the mail item in the queue is the
> actual item of mail that you're reading.  It's no longer in the
> queue when you go looking for it, because the cron job has now
> finished and you have the mail in your inbox.

So obvious with hindsight.

> Unless I've misunderstood, you don't really get them "all the
> time" but just once a day.  There's nothing wrong and you can't
> "fix" it unless you ditch sendmail in favour of another MTA.
> But this would have to be the most feeble reason to change MTAs.

Time flies when you're having fun, making it look more often <g>.

So I guess the cron job first creates half a mail, then goes checking
to see if it can find half completed mails and finally reports that
it does indeed, then closes the mail thereby taking care of the problem
it reported? Not what I expected <g>

Tx.

Roelof

--