Date:      Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:23:19 +0200
From:      Jacob Atzen <jacob@aub.dk>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LSI 1020 mpt problem

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 10:56:50AM +0200, Jacob Atzen wrote:
> I've just gotten my hands on a server with a LSI 1020 controller.
> Unfortunately when I try to boot the server off my 5.3 CD I get an error
> message stating that "mpt0: bullet missed in timeout". This error
> message will just repeat itself until the machine is turned off.
>
> I'm unable to find the 1020 in the hardware notes for 5.x but the big
> brother 1030 is there. Also 1020 is supported in FreeBSD in the 4.x
> series. Can I assume that the 1020 is supported in 5.x or has support
> been dropped for some reason? And if it is supported, what may then be
> the reason for the error message?

I seem to have found a solution, so in the interest of others who might
end up in the same situation as me, here goes:

The 1020 and 1030 are indeed very much alike. So much so, that the BIOS
will report the 1020 as a 1030 under certain circumstances.

The mpt problem has been solved by booting in "safe mode". Beware that
just disabling ACPI doesn't do the trick.

--
Thanks,
- Jacob Atzen