Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 2015 20:51:54 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unable to relocate to new svn URL

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:57 PM, olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2015-08-06 05:44, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > This still leaves the issue of requiring SASL support in subversion. A
> note
> > in the handbook section on ports would help, though I'll admit that I
> > probably would not have found it in this case. Perhaps a note in
> > ports/UPDATING might be in order. At least that one was fairly easy to
> find
> > once I started looking.
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> SASL support is not required to checkout/update src/ports/docs
>
> To see a list of client features fire the command
>
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.8.14 (r1692801)
> The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
>
> * ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
> protocol.
>   - handles 'svn' scheme
> * ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
>   - handles 'file' scheme
> * ra_serf : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using
> serf.
>   - using serf 1.3.8
>   - handles 'http' scheme
>   - handles 'https' scheme
>

> or on FreeBSD >= 10.x
>
> $ svnlite --version
> svn, version 1.8.10 (r1615264)
> The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
>
> * ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
> protocol.
>   - handles 'svn' scheme
> * ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
>   - handles 'file' scheme
> * ra_serf : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using
> serf.
>   - using serf 1.3.7
>   - handles 'http' scheme
>   - handles 'https' scheme
>

> --
> olli

I have been running subversion for years without SASL using svn scheme with
no issues, but when I issued the command "svn relocate svn://svn0.us-west
https://svn", I got an error that the format of the new location was
unsupported. I changed the config for subversion to add SASL support and
reinstalled it. Then it worked except for failing to authenticate the cert.
(I don't have the exact message any longer.) Since the only thing that
changed between the failure and success was the change of adding SASL
support, it sure looked like it was needed.

Now that I have certs installed into /etc/ssl, the version without SASL is
working. I wonder if the lack of certs caused serf to throw the error, but
adding SASL allowed https to be accepted and got it to almost work.

In any case, I just moved my /usr/src to https://svn with no SASL module
installed but the certs in place and it worked fine.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com