Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:28:54 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating 4.2 release to 4.3 release

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 08:33:48PM -0700, Wayne Lubin wrote:
> The documentation seems a bit confusing on this.
> Chapter 20 talks about how to update to either the
> current or stable versions. It also states that
> neither is as stable as the release version. So, if
> all I am interested in is upgrading to 4.3, and not so
> much interested in the less stable up to date
> versions, then shouldn't I be upgrading from my 4.2
> release to 4.3 release? If so, then is the only way to
> do this to simply install 4.3 from scratch and thus
> erase all of my present config files and installed
> ports etc...? Chapter 20 does mention briefly that to
> go from release version to release version then one
> should "use the binary update mechanism". What is the
> binary mechanism and where is some documentation on
> it.
>
> A bit confused but ok :)

You almost certainly want to update to STABLE due to a very important
security fix that occured since last RELEASE.

The stablity of STABLE problems are usually over-hyped. When setting
up a new system, bring it up to STABLE, verify STABLE works how you
like AND THEN LEAVE IT BE UNLESS YOU NEED TO ADD A FEATURE OR SECURITY
FIX. A production system should only be upgraded when there is a
reason. Yes, STABLE breaks from time to time, but you shouldn't be
continually updating critical systems just for the heck of it. YMMV.