Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 18:25:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mellon@pobox.com (Anatoly Vorobey)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Salon article on BSD

> Here's Linus quoted inside on why he doesn't do source control:
>
> "The purely technical side of keeping track of the sources can be
> handled by source control packages," says Torvalds, "but at least, in
> my opinion, they actually tend to favor the approach of 'Let's put
> this in now; if it turns out to be a mistake, we can always revert it
> because we have source control.' And of course, nobody ever actually
> does clean up anything. Or hardly ever. So I think the real problem in
> computer science is to have quality control before it even hits the
> distribution, and so far there isn't any other package than the human
> brain that can do that job."
>
> This is so mind-boggingly... misguided?... I just don't know what to
> say to this.

Well, how about:

1)	Source control promotes deleting things that the people
	in charge of the source control aren't using any more
	because "we can always recover it from the attic".

2)	Source control tends to polarize all developement along
	a single line of research, unless that source control
	is extremely capable -- and CVS is not sufficiently
	capable of resolving this problem, any more than the old
	patchkit code was.

I think he's just rationalizing a (valid) gut feel for the currently
freely avaible tools.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---