Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:02:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        spork@super-g.com (spork)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compaq raid controller

spork wrote...
> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>
> > spork wrote...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I noticed there is a driver available for Compaq's raid cards, but it's
> > > not part of the distribution.  Is anyone using this, and if so, how has it
> > > been working?  Any plans to roll it into distribution?
> >
> > Really?  Where?  Is it CAM or non-CAM?  Is the copyright "okay" by FreeBSD
> > standards?  Are there any intellectual property issues with it?
> >
> > (I think I remember it being discussed here on -scsi before, but I can't
> > recall much about it.)

> While I was going through the mail archives, I saw it existed at least as
> long ago as 1996.  The gentleman that maintains it has a web page at
> http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~md/ida.
>
> I'm assuming it's not CAM :(
>
> As for the copyright, I see none whatsoever up top.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charles
>
> ---
> Charles Sprickman
> spork@super-g.com

In this case, it doesn't depend on CAM at all.  It is a standalone disk
driver, like the IDE driver and a couple of other drivers out there.  He
has a version for FreeBSD 3.0, which I imagine would probably work fine
with -stable or -current at this point.

You're right, there is no copyright.  Of course, without a copyright, we
can't distribute it.

We'd also probably need to make sure there aren't any intellectual property
concerns with the driver.  (The author would probably have an idea whether
or not that would be a problem.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry