Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:59:47 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Pentium-M - not recognized?

Nate Lawson wrote:
> Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>> Nate Lawson wrote:

>>> Ok, I've committed a patch to est.c that should add support of acpi
>>> detection of EST parameters.  Please give it a try.  It probably
>>> won't work on all systems since it appears some systems need _PDC
>>> support (something I'm working on).  Actually, if yours doesn't work
>>> with est, it should work with acpi_perf.
>>>

>> Rebuilt everything, and I'm not certain anything is different.  Latest
>> output is at the URL above. As a side note - when this laptop goes
>> from AC to battery, the machine hangs for 10 seconds.  From battery to
>> AC, there is no hang.  I think it might be some kind of interrupt
>> storm (USB?).
>

> No idea, probably the EC timing out.
>
> I don't understand why acpi_perf doesn't attach on your system.  Have
> you added a hint to disable it?  Can you boot without cpufreq.ko loaded
> and see if you get an acpi_perf0?

I haven't changed any of the hints at all.   I booted without cpufreq loaded, and the only thing I really noticed was that the p4tcc stuff disappeared from my dmesg.  I may have missed some other things (it was early, my brain was foggy, etc).  The one thing I did notice (hard not to), is when I unplugged the AC from the laptop, the machine locked up and didn't come back, not even when I plugged AC back in.

On that note - I did some experimenting, and watching systat -vmstat 1 showed my interrupts jumping from ~1000 on ath0 to over 25000 during the ~10 hang when going from AC->battery mode.  I disabled the minipci slot in the BIOS, and no longer had the interrupt storm (but no wireless too).  I didn't have this issue on 5.3-STABLE for sure, and I *think* I didn't have it on -CURRENT from early Feb.  This might be a new change in Sam's code.

Eric

I have seen the future and it is just like the present, only longer.