Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:26:22 -0300
From:      Noel <pongkee@fibertel.com.ar>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cannot use /dev/sndstat

hi.

how can i use /dev/sndstat? i just recompiled my kernel to include support
for my sound card, and checking dmesg, the kernel sees my sound card as "pcm0
: <Forte Media FM801 Audio Controller>  port 0xdc00-0xdc7f irq 9 at device
11.0 on pci0".

all i get when i try /dev/sndstat is "/dev/sndstat:permission denied" even
when i'm root.

can i ignore this and go ahead with "MAKEDEV snd0"? or i will have to try and
fix sndstat?

tia.